Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Are you there, NDP? It's me, Alex..."

As I proudly supported the NDP in the federal election, plastering signs all over my property ( plus my monthly donation) I, today, got the "can we put a provincial sign on your lawn" phone call.

I'll admit, I haven't much followed the provincial platforms. An e-mail here, a news article there, but my heart hasn't really been in it as this is, after all, Ontario and - who are we kidding - the NDP doesn't have a chance in hell in this province.

But I scolded myself for not at least having a thorough grasp of what awesome - though totally wasted - plans they have in store. And began to research.

And research.
And research.


Are you there, NDP? It's me, Alex.
Part of Ontario's education system for the past 18 years of my life. The last three spent navigating the extraordinarily expensive [tax-supporting, job providing] world of post-secondary education. And what does your Ontario plan have in store for me?

If anyone can figure that out, let me know. Because all I can find are old plans to phase out the textbook and technology grant, and an article from the CFS arguing lower tuition costs as opposed to an East-Coast NDP student debt cap.

I am going to be in school for the next four years at least. I am going to finish my undergrad, and earn a masters degree (possibly two) and then I am going to come and work for YOU, my government, and attempt to make Canada's health care even better.

And how do you reward me, and all the other students in Ontario, for paying higher tuition fees than any other province, for denser classroom volumes than any other province, just so we can make our province a better place?

...?

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment